How to restore and recover an old deckchair
Its that time of year again where we start to wake those sleepy deckchairs up from hibernation and give them a bit of TLC so they are ready and raring to go out for hire for parties, weddings, festivals and events for the Summer ahead!
As all of our deckchairs that we hire out are original vintage frames that were originally hired out on the beaches of Blackpool they are pretty hard wearing and the first thing to go is the deckchair canvas.
As soon as our deckchairs come back from being hired,Jim (our resident deckchair technician) usually checks them for any wobbles and damages. He knocks the rivets into place first of all to tighten them up and then we replace the canvas so the deckchairs look ready to go out on hire again.
This is a simple guide on how to recover a deckchair which you can easily do at home and bring your old deckchair in the shed back to life with these simple steps!
You will need
- 1.5 m deckchair canvas (available from www.thestripescompany.com)
- 20 x upholstery tacks
- Fabric scissors
- Unfold deckchair as if you were putting it up to sit on it.
- Flip upside down so the chair bars are on the floor and the legs are in the air.
- Place fabric underneath bars and starting at the wide end fold over by 4cm.
- Wrap fabric over bar and holding pin at one end between two fingers gently hammer in until it seems sturdy enough to take fingers away and hammer fully in.
- Place pin in the centre and do the same.
- Place pin at other end and do the same
- Fill in gaps with remaining pins
- Feed fabric under bar of narrow end until tight
- Turn in edges until fabric fits and hammer in pins as before.
So get in your shed and blow the cobwebs off your old deckchair and bring them back to life this Summer! It’s so easy!
We have a full range of colourful and inspiring deckchair canvas in the shop and pop in or give us a call for any advice on recovering.
If you would like to hire any of our vintage deckchairs for your event please get in touch or click here for more information!