Make your own Tissue Paper Pom Pom!
Everyone seems to love a pom pom! Isn’t there something slightly comforting about them?Originally used by cheerleaders in the 1930s tissue Paper pom poms have become increasingly popular as wedding decorations,party pieces and Christmas decorations too.
Not only do they look great but they are easy and fairly quick to make DIY decorations.
By using an assortments of shapes, sizes and colours tissue paper pom poms make a fantastic impact in a wedding marquee and are a great use of space too! I have even seen them used as little table favours of napkin rings.
Not only are they used for weddings decorations (including mine!) but we have used them alot to create window displays whatever time of year. Tissue paper pom poms are really eye catching and fill a space that is higher than where you generally place products. They look great in the home in a bedroom or stairway or even in a childrens’ room.
As a Christmas decoration they carry a certain air of nostalgia as many customers smile and remember them being used when they were younger in various forms such as Santas, Christmas bells and snowflakes!
This wedding theme is not going anywhere any time soon so have a look below and learn how to make your own!
You will need:
- 8 sheets of tissue paper per pom pom
- ribbon, twine or wool
- invisible thread
- Start by placing the eight sheets of tissue paper on top of each other.
- Next, you need to fold them all together in a concertina style (like those homemade fans we all used to make out of paper when we were little), in widths of about 5cm. Keep folding back and forth until you then have one long strip.
- Take a length of your string and tie it around the middle of the strip of folded sheets of paper, and tie securely.
- Next, cut each of the ends of this bulk of paper in a curve.
- Then fan out your two ends (with the string still keeping everything together in the middle). Spread them out as far as they will go.
- Next, take each sheet of paper and very carefully separate it from the one underneath. Be very careful not to tear them! (Although if you do it’s not the end of the world as it’s hardly noticeable!).
- Keep fluffing and puffing and spreading out the leaves of the pom pom and there you go!!
Alternatively pop into the Harrogate shop where you can buy them already made up. We would be happy to help you with colours to go with your theme and can always offer a bulk discount for large orders too.
Keep your eyes peeled nearer Christmas for festive paper decorations!
Only 14 weeks to go!
Lots of Love